Tuesday 23 April 2013

Blog 1607: City of Derby Level 3

An amazing weekend for Long Eaton swimmers at COD level 3 meet with nearly every swim being a PB. The team of around 20 swimmers took the 4th place in the top club event only behind teams of 40-50 swimmers. In the individual age group all round events, Madison Walker was 3rd, as was Oliver Tipping, Joshua Beech was 1st, Megan Smart 3rd, Erin Dilks 5th Chloe Blaydon 6th, Rebecca Smithurst 2nd and Bethanie Dennis 3rd. With Josh Beech coming 6th overall in the males. I popped down and sat in the crowd as a spectator on the Saturday afternoon and whilst I tried not to coach I couldn't help it. I was mainly speaking about skills and race pacing. Having the courage to go for it on the 100 and 200 events and hold on instead of leaving everything until the last length and getting out saying, "I could have gone faster". As for skills, despite me moaning about details I have to say that our clubs skills were the best on display at the gala and it was interesting overhearing and watching other teams coaches giving feedback, some compared their swimmers skills to ours and other feedback was as extensive as a well done. We have some of the best coaches around and the feedback they give is detailed and of the highest level. It is your job as a swimmer to take that feedback and use it to keep improving. Erin Dilks became the 17th swimmer in the home prorgamme to obtain this years Regional times in the 100 and 200 backstroke.  Just 3 more to meet the target I set of 20 for the  home based swimmers of the club.